The Heart of the Matter

Posted by: Misti McHatton

Tagged in: share, ReadyChristian, prayer, Personal Crisis, Leadership, care

Last week Sandie posed the question: If Jesus truly is the only name that matters to me (or you), what is keeping me from proclaiming His name “at all times”?

We discussed how we can easily fall into the traps of busyness and keeping up with life in general.  We ended with the scripture Acts 2:32-39…

This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. 34 “For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself: ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, 35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” 36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”  ~ Acts 2:32-39 New King James Version (NKJV)

One of the things that jumped out to me in this scripture was verse 37: “Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

I remembered the many times in scripture that Jesus answered a question that was asked of him with a seemingly unconnected response. Yet, the answer that he gave was always exactly what that person needed to hear.

In practical application, I wonder how often we ask something of God based on what we think our needs are and how often we miss God’s response that speaks to the heart of what we truly need. Whether we are in personal crisis, responding to a larger one, or have questions about life and our purpose here on Earth, we must learn to be open to hearing God’s answer that cuts to the heart of the matter. Once we get to that place, we find ourselves in a position to ask “what shall we do?” But the “cut” has to come before the response. Only then will we respond accordingly and be able to give out the hope that we have.

Revisiting Sandie’s question: “: If Jesus truly is the only name that matters to me (or you), what is keeping me from proclaiming His name ‘at all times’?”

We can always be “better” and more available to proclaim his name at all times. The challenge for today is to be open to having that question answered by the One who cuts to the heart/root of the issue when he speaks. 

Thoughts? What are some things that speak to you from the scripture we read?