Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Announcements from Hurricane Isaac, 2012

Saturday, 01 September 2012 by Mike Marshall

Chaplain Edward Smith
CEN ReadyNewOrleans Incident Commander

This report for Aug 31, 2012 will be very brief

Took 15 hours to cover 570 miles from Dallas to New Orleans due to rain storms and backed up interstates particularly on I-10 East bound once I-49 South converged at Lafayette and headed east toward Baton Rouge. A 20 mile stretch took nearly 2 hours until crossing the bridge over the Mississippi into Baton Rouge.

The slow traffic is due to I-10 into New Orleans being closed at the town of La Place which is flooded so all traffic to New Orleans routes to I-12 East toward Hammond where traffic from I-55 South also comes in as it connects to the closed I-10 connection at La Place. Mixed with holkiday weekend travel, national guard and power company convoys, truck traffic and local traffic- it makes a mess for traffic!

Rescues were still ongoing in many towns where the water is backing up and coming over the Levees. Plaquemine Parish has 500 homes flooded with 100 rescued in the township of Braithwidth. La Place is an ongoing flood problem and water will not crest until Monday night. LSU-North Texas Football game in Baton Rouge will add even more to heavy and slow moving traffic.

I have connected with our partners with Information Technology Disaster Resource Center (ITDRC) mobile command center bus. I slept on their floor with the Hillis Family and crashed. I set up through our partnership with the Global Compassion Response Network/Somebody Cares to have the bus set up on the grounds of the City Church Cathedral of New Orleans.

I am going to meetings with Celebration Church at 1015a on Saturday at their warehouse and distribution center/campus to see how they will stage and work with responding groups and how ReadyNewOrleans and VRM can also plug into that.

At 1115a Sat I meet with Vintage Church at their Metarie Campus a church plant from Prestonwood Baptist where I have an inbound RV and inbound mobile command trailer coming on Sat or Sunday of this week. I will also see how the church might be an open door for ReadyNewOrleans.

Meetings will follow all Saturday as I assess needs and partnership request,

No rain or bad weather is expected today