Thursday, March 23, 2017

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jun 05
CEN

Five Pillars of Church Safety Series - Protect

Posted by CEN in Untagged 

As catastrophic as having a church building blown away in a hurricane or property lost in a fire, nothing compares to the impact of losing people while engaged in ministry.   With regular frequency we read about an automobile accident involving a youth group, or we hear a story of children being violated while in the care of an adult associated with the church.   Nothing can equate to the level of pain, anguish, and disruption of ministry like a child or adult losing their life or their innocence.

Jun 05
CEN

The Risk of Doing Ministry

A senior pastor once asked me, “How do I prevent all risks associated with ministry?”   I replied, “Lock the door and stop being the church.”   Anytime we unlock the doors of our church, risk is attached to it.   You simply cannot do ministry without some risk.

Jun 05
CEN

Good Intention May Not Be Enough

Outreach. Evangelism. Worship. Protection. Missions. Which of these isn't usually included in a conversation with people of faith? My guess is you chose "protection." But increasingly church leaders are recognizing the need to include protection to their list of ministries. Why is that? Which of these isn't usually included in a conversation with people of faith? My guess is you chose "protection." But increasingly church leaders are recognizing the need to include protection to their list of ministries. Why is that?

I remember reading a newspaper article about a church that had been entered after hours three times in less than a month.   Thieves took cash, equipment, and made a mess of the place each time.   I was struck by what the pastor was quoted as saying after the third event.   He remarked, “I guess we'll just have to start locking the church at night.”   As the new slang expression goes, “Ya think?”

I grew up in the Akron, Ohio area.   Akron, among other things, is the home of the All-American Soap Box Derby.   Since my dad was a volunteer for many years, we went to the race.   I always marveled at the bright, shiny cars as they rolled down the long, sloping hill.   After passing the finish line, the drivers applied the brakes and eased to a stop.   Just in case, bales of straw were at the very end of the track.

Jun 05
CEN

Five Pillars of Church Safety Series: Pray

We read in James 5:15b, “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”   And we, as people of Christ believe that.   We pray for everything from healing, to work, to someone lost finding a Savior.   But have you ever thought about praying for the safety of your staff?   What about the overall ministry of your church?   When was the last time you asked God to put a hedge of protection around your youth ministry?