Sunday, December 17, 2017

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jun 05
CEN

Church Preparation (Advanced)

Posted by CEN in Untagged 

Prepare your congregation members to be voices of hope in times of tragedy and disaster.   Prepare your church facility as an emergency prayer shelter.   Prepare your congregation members to minister in their own communities, neighborhoods, and workplaces.   Recruit volunteers to meet the needs of your community. Prepare your congregation!

Jun 05
CEN

Church Sheltering

Any church desiring to become a shelter in the event of an emergency would be best positioned to deliver prayer, care and share effectively if the commitment to being an outpost were made in advance.

Jun 05
CEN

Spiritual Care in Church Shelters

"Individuals inquiring into faith issues during a crisis need what we call "spiritual care."  In a multicultural environment, those providing spiritual care must be sensitive to and aware of the varied expressions of faith and belief. Within that context, a Christian emergency response service provides spiritual care from a biblical perspective."

The National Next of Kin Registry (NOKR), dedicated to making it possible for people to register their next of kin and others for everyday emergencies, in natural catastrophes, or man made disasters, is looking to the faith-community to help them with their efforts.

Jun 05
CEN

First Steps to a Church Safety and Security Team

As I consider all that I read in the papers and see on the news, I often find myself wondering, “How is the church prepared for that?”   I have heard stories how ill-prepared many churches were for the flood and storms of last year's hurricane season.   As I research the potential of bird flue and read that if a pandemic hits, how churches in impacted areas will not be allowed to gather as a group to worship.   I wonder if they are prepared for that?   Even locally, as I read of a case of sexual misconduct or a tragic van accident involving the multiple death of youth group members, I realize that most churches aren't prepared to deal with such issues in a way that keeps them from doing further harm.

Jun 05
CEN

The Hidden Value of Church Inspections

The elderly member of the local volunteer fire department stood on the front lawn of his church, frozen in his tracks, shocked at what he saw in front of him.   There was his church, of which he had been a member his entire life, fully engulfed in flames.   He was instantly flooded with the hundreds of memories.   There were the births, baptisms, weddings, funerals, social events, revivals, and scores of others.     And now all he was left with were those memories.   Tears ran down his face.