Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jan 20
Misti McHatton

How Can I Help?

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

When tragedy strikes, such as it did last week in Haiti, we are often left with a feeling of wanting to help but not knowing what to do or what is most needed. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has given some guidelines as to the most effective ways to help whether you want to donate or volunteer.
To Donate: Provide a financial contribution to a voluntary organization involved in disaster activities.
Find out what services state government is providing via Website or state donations hotline.
Do not begin collecting, packing or shipping until or unless you have a known recipient to accept it.

To Volunteer:

Get training before the next disaster.
Connect and affiliate with a voluntary organization.
Consider volunteering for the long-term community recovery.
Check with your local Volunteer Center for volunteer opportunities in your own community (1-800-Volunteer).
Plan to be as self-sufficient as possible (go to www.ready.gov for assistance in developing your plan).

Although the sense of wanting to send more than “just money” can sometimes be really strong, it is what is most needed and what is asked for by our government and other agencies serving in the area of the disaster.  God says that we are to be aware of what our gov't requests/requires and follow them if within our Christian freedom to do so. The desires to help are commendable…it’s important that we learn to help within the structures set up so that our giving can be most effective.
For more information about how you can help in a disaster, visit the FEMA web site at www.fema.gov. If you want to get more involved and volunteer, visit the volunteer section of the CEN directory for a list of places to find volunteer information.

In situations where communication is critical, there is a new form of communication being used in unexpected ways. With the recent earthquake in Haiti, we have seen that with the help of social media sites, people are still able to get in touch with their loved ones, and the process of search, rescue and re-building can begin.

Twitter, is the primary method being used to communicate. In doing a cursory search, there were pages of updates, offers from businesses to fly nurses and doctors to Haiti for free, matching donation requests, initiatives by schools and individuals, as well as updates from people on the ground in Haiti. About 30 seconds after my initial search, there were over 1700 new “tweets” regarding Haiti. News articles have also reported that in the initial hours after the quake, Skype was used for person to person communication to relay details.

This is a good example of how social media has gone beyond just a way to “stay in touch with friends.” Is this the method for emergency communication of the future?

Jan 05
Douglas Bush

That's NICE !

Posted by Douglas Bush in Untagged 

It is already five days into the New Year and many of us (including myself) have broken some New Year resolutions.  Sound familiar. 

As a former college student, my professor would get upset if we did not hand in our assignments on time.  He would say that procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.  That is all well and good as a student but as a parent:  this takes on a whole different meaning.  

The Christmas holidays brought us a chilling reminder that the terrorists threats are still there.  Further, record snow falls and cold temperatures serve as a reminder that we should be prepared.  So if procrastination has crept into your life, it is time to do something about it.  Let’s start preparing now.

Dec 18
Douglas Bush

Do you want to learn or be taught?

Posted by Douglas Bush in Untagged 

Phrases like “think ahead and plan ahead “have a similarity to them.  I think that they are meaning be prepared, be ready and expect the unexpected.    

When it comes to emergency planning most people consciously or subconsciously think of the fear factor.   Is it the word “emergency” which frightens them?  Or, is it that they want to learn about emergency preparedness but they don’t want to be taught?  Which is it?

A noted scholar, Sophocles once said “the greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves."  Can these unfortunate circumstances in our lives be avoided?  Maybe. 

Dec 17
Jon McHatton

The Best is yet to Come!

Posted by Jon McHatton in Untagged 

As we continue to compile our results and wait for more responses from my last blog in pursuing purpose and destiny, I have a question for you.  Have you ever thought that things cannot get any worse, and then you meet or hear of someone that is far worse off than you are?  In fact, there are times when our hearts are moved with compassion beyond our human efforts and understanding because of the plight that we see.

“I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” 
Philippians 4:13 KJV

Have you ever thought about what life would be like if there wasn’t any pain?  The day will come when we will enter the gates of heaven and all earthly things that are evil will not exist, but until this time there is a reason for why God allows us to endure pain.

Have you ever experienced pain from a broken relationship, pain from someone who negatively brought you down, or pain of loosing a loved one?  What happens when we experience pain?   Usually, all we have in our human ability goes to the cope with the pain, but rarely do we focus our attention on what we are gaining.  It’s not until we are on the road to recover that we begin to realize that there is an opportunity to grow through our pain.  The most incredible leaders in history fulfilled mega visions, while enduring much pain physically, emotionally and mentally.