Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Feb 04
Steve Marr

Faith for All Seasons

Posted by Steve Marr in Untagged 

Hebrews 11 recalls the faith of Able, Abraham, Sarah, Moses, and others and what their faith accomplished. The magnitude of what God did through these prophets was incomprehensible. Who could have imagined all the wonders that God did?

The only thing these people had in common was their faith. We can easily want to focus just on the Mount Carmel experiences, the great victories we cherish, the parting of the Red Sea, or the raising of Lazarus the victory at Jericho. But it wasn’t these victories that defined them, it was their faith.

Should we ask for victory? Sure.

Jan 27
Jim

Recent Snow Storm in Flagstaff

Posted by Jim in Untagged 

Recently, Flagstaff has experienced a powerful week of storm activity. The impact of the storms and snowfall has been widespread.  During the storm, we have found that many issues arose that we were prepared for and many that have been added to our future preparedness.

For the most part, needs of our people were adequately met through the efforts of our Neighborhood Groups and staff monitored ministries.  We responded to snow removal needs and feel there were no hunger, shelter, or needs that went unmet.

We were forced to cancel our Saturday evening services and were able to hold our two Sunday services, as scheduled.  The biggest issues facing our on site ministries was snow removal from the property and the flat roof structures.

We are currently reviewing how we could have been more proactive with any needs of our people or community -- and, working with agencies that work with homeless to insure our community needs are addressed, as well. 
It has been a very challenging and yet, growing experience.

The snow is piled high but not as high as the Spirit of the Lord in Flagstaff Arizona.  

Sunday morning at Grace Community Church the auditorium was completely filled.  There is no stopping the people of God who desire to gather together to praise and worship God.  

The sound was exhilarating as the voices of the redeemed lifted high the name of Jesus in song. 

Jan 23
Sandie Sangster

Flagstaff Arizona Disaster ALERT!

Posted by Sandie Sangster in Untagged 

Flagstaff? But, we don’t get any crisis here….before  we were crippled by a snow storm experienced maybe once in thirty years! Yet as bad as the situation is here, as a Christian I have learned one more time about the meaning of biblical readiness. Readiness to face emergencies large and small that may affect me or those around me. Emergencies like we hear every day that affect us personally or as a nation like Haiti spiritually, emotionally, mentally, or physically. We do have a remarkable ability to “put off” what we know we should do to prepare for the “big one.” Well, the big one hit Flagstaff this week and being born and raised here a storm of this magnitude is not new to me, but I found myself thinking again, are we more aware of the need to be prepared for the world we live in today?

I have learned first-hand the importance of not only being physically prepared, or knowledgeable about situations that may pose a risk for me and my family, but more importantly the importance of being spiritually prepared. Prepared to pray for, care for and share Christ with those facing crisis of many kinds.  My husband Paul and I started to evaluate our personal preparedness after 911. So tonight as we are unable to get out of our home and the possibility of being without power, radio, or other things we take for granted, we sit here thankful that God helped us and challenged us to be Ready Christians. When all the snow lets up there will be many who will be overwhelmed and asking “Where is God in this?” and we will be able to not only give an answer but also a helping hand. Why? Because we survived to be on His rescue team. Someone helped us in our point of need, and now we can help others.

Paul and I were led to become CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) members so today we were able to help assist the Emergency Operations Center here in Flagstaff. You may not be called to do this, but you are called to some role in helping others in emergencies.
Because of Christ we are ready to help our community, our neighbors, public servants, our church, and our family and friends. We know the effects of the crisis here will not be over in a few days.  But as we come together as the body of believers in Flagstaff and stand together, we will see God’s Light warm up a cold and dire situation.

Over the next weeks I hope you will share your stories on how you were prepared in your community, how you shared the Hope of Christ to the hopeless as I share with you the open doors God give me in Flagstaff. Let us come together as Jesus taught for such a time as this and let His Light shine for the city, state and nation to come to know and follow Him.

How do you know if you are biblically ready to face something like we are tonight? I invite you to visit www.christianemergencynetwork.org <http://www.christianemergencynetwork.org> and take the Readiness profile. Then, pray about joining me on my journey of personal readiness by starting the Ready Christian track and discover the role God has for you in His service. Tragedies are often God’s open doors to transformation, yours and others.  

Jan 22
Sharon Corea

Pray for Haiti relief team

Posted by Sharon Corea in Untagged 

Please Pray: Pastor Tom "Our Haiti team coming together will take a bus From SD to Port Au Prince or helicoptered to compound in port, bringing field medics, emergency relief people, meds & $. Need prayer cover and calls to prayer networks-leave the 23rd and scheduled to return 29th. Seeking short term relief & long term solutions!

Jan 20
Mary Marr

Haiti's Wake-Up Call!

Posted by Mary Marr in Untagged 

89% of all volunteers at any one disaster, like the one we are responding to in Haiti on their second day of shaking, are faith-based. Most of the relief responders of those groups are Christians. And while, we are sending our human and material resources to Haiti to support the devastated country, there is a wake-up call for every Christian within each new picture we see and report that we hear of this tragedy.

We don't usually think of earthquakes happening here in AZ, but the fact is, emergencies happen everywhere and no one is exempt. What is not common is how we respond to them as Christians. We arrive early and stay late after all the media have gone home. We have the "heart" to stay.

The Bible tells us time and time again to "Be ready to give an answer for the Hope within us" and yet, over 75% of churches today do not have any emergency plan in place despite the fact that over 1200 crimes were committed against the church in 2009. Even today, Christians donate to relief agencies which prohibit the Gospel being shared openly and appropriately when there are so many Christian relief agencies or their own denominational disaster reponse teams who offer Christ along with water and medicine. Why do we do this after so  many wake-up calls?