Friday, December 06, 2019

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Feb 18
Misti McHatton

Step Up

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

To “step up” means to take responsibility for something; to see that it gets done.

John 13:1-17 is the story of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. Verse 1 reads:

“It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.”

Recently I experienced two events in back to back days that reminded me how active God is in empowering our ministries. The other day I was in the E.R. at our local hospital. Not being on department business I didn't have my chaplain's uniform on. However as is my practice when in the hospital I did have my Texas Medical Center clergy I.D. badge on. I went to get my wife a soda from the nearby machine. There I met a man and his miserably ill little son about 2 years old. The poor child was feeling so badly that he only wanted two things. 1) for daddy to hold him. 2) a bottle of sprite. The medical staff didn't have objection to the soda. Unfortunately the soda machine was busted. It wouldn't even take the father's money despite several attempts. To make matters worse you could tell english was not the father's native language, so seeking help would have been uncomfortable for him.

I approached and told them that I was looking to get a soda myself. The father explained their plight. I told him that if all that poor child needed to feel better was a bottle of Sprite then he was going to get it one way or another. I knew there was another machine over by the chapel, and cafeteria. The cafeteria I knew was closed until dinner. I showed them where the machine was and we got the sick little boy his Sprite ! I'm nit sure who had the bigger smile the father or the little boy. That simple bottle of soda had become a big stressful, frustrating task to the father of a sick little boy. But God in his heaven had a plan and a man ! He aligned our paths to meet at that soda machine, and the little that had unnecessarily become big went completely away !

The next day I was at my secular job. Nearby I noticed a young man who was wearing a department t-shirt that was from a department that was a good distance away. I went over and asked if he was finding everything he needed. In the course of the conversation I learned that his wife was in our local hospital. The same hospital I had been standing in the day before. I first expressed concern for his wife, and offered my prayers for a complete recovery. Then I mentioned that the chaplain at the hospital was a friend of mine. I called him over to the counter and took out one of my chaplain business cards. I flipped it over and gave him the name and 24 hour direct phone number of the hospital chaplain. You should have seen the relief on his face when I put that card into his waiting hands. Will he ever need it or use it ? Probably not. But his wife was in a hospital in a strange town. But through my simple act God made it clear that he knew what he was going through because he was watching, and had his people in place.

Feb 17
Judy Hannestad

What if Haiti Happens Here? Commentary...

Posted by Judy Hannestad in Untagged 

Commentary by CEN Founder and President Mary Marr

In the teachings of Jesus, He repeatedly commanded His followers to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and shelter those in need.

The Apostle Paul consistently reinforces in his epistles the importance of the Church coming together to take care of those in need.

I am not aware of any verses where apostles were told Rome was to clothe the naked or care for the destitute. Consistently, Jesus' message was the Church should do this. Following this model, Christian Emergency Network (CEN) believes Christians must look at donations flowing through the Church and Christian ministries where aid is delivered in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ rather than on behalf of the “state.”

Feb 15
Steve Marr

Paul's Shipwreck- Lessons for Today

Posted by Steve Marr in Untagged 

In Acts 27:13-44 we read the story of the Apostle Paul and the shipwreck he survives after leaving Crete. Interestingly enough, as we look closer at the story we see a lot of parallels to how we respond in times of crisis.

Now when the south wind blew gently, supposing that they had obtained their purpose, they weighed anchor and sailed along Crete, close to the shore.

Feb 12
Sandie Sangster

CEN Flagstaff photo

Posted by Sandie Sangster in Untagged 

CHECK OUT CEN Flagstaff picture; approve

sandie

Feb 11
Misti McHatton

"Aware - Ready - There" is hitting home!

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

Lately God has been speaking to me and challenging me in what I ask of Him and what I expect from Him. I don't know how else to share this except through some examples...

Last week I went to three conferences (why they all happened the same week, I don't know!). At one of the conferences the guest speaker was talking about the "Great Commission" as we know it. The part that says, "Therefore go..." literally translates to "As you go..." He then proceeded to tell us to get our "as" in gear! Basically, a challenge to allow God to use us in our everyday lives "as" we go about our day. So, I've been praying and asking God to make me aware of people that are brought in my path that He wants me to minister to.

It has been challenging!