Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Apr 07
Misti McHatton

From (blank) to (blank)

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

Most, if not all, of us are in a season where we are stepping out into the unknown, in many different areas and ways. 

Usually in seasons like these, we face many different types of emotions: fear, doubt, insecurity, etc. We know that these types of emotions are not what we should be living as children of God. Galatians 5:22-23 tells us: “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”

So, we are going to discuss how we move from              to             ? (Doubt to peace, insecurity to self-control, depression to joy, etc) You fill in the blanks with your current needs. I’ve been attending a Bible series teaching on the book of Esther. We have pulled out some nuggets of encouragement regarding this very thing that I’d like to share with you.

Mar 30
CEN

That won't happen to me: Will it?

Posted by CEN in Untagged 

In your lifetime, you are guaranteed to experience one man made or natural disaster. You can count on it. So if you are truly prepared for emergencies, then you have nothing to fear.

Some people enjoy the fear factor. It’s challenging, exhilarating, ego satisfying and so on. But is that shared with the rest of the family? Or, are you giving the family a choice? Recently, I came across an interesting statistic. Only 12% of our population is truly prepared for emergencies in accordance with established guidelines. In June 2009, Citizen Corp stated that 32% of the families surveyed were prepared for emergencies. Assuming that the 12% is part of the 32%, then 20% have done something toward emergency planning. If these families were put to the test: will they be aware, will they be ready and will they be there? What are your thoughts?

Most people today, know the importance of emergency planning and preparedness. But for some reason people have trouble putting those thoughts into action. Why? It won’t happen to them, don’t have the time, it is not a fun thing to do, a governmental agency will come to my rescue, etc. As Nike says, “Just do it”. You will be surprised how easy it is to build an emergency plan.

The more complex societies get and the more complex the networks of interdependence within and beyond community and national borders get, the more people are forced in their own interests to find non-zero-sum solutions. That is, win–win solutions instead of win–lose solutions.... Because we find as our interdependence increases that, on the whole, we do better when other people do better as well — so we have to find ways that we can all win, we have to accommodate each other.... Bill Clinton, Wired interview, December 2000

From a least likely source (for me, anyway), Clinton makes a poignant statement for the church to take note.   Is the church in competition with itself?  Do we compete for souls to save as if there is a shortage?  The body of Christ is made up of many congregations, of which,  each has their own distinctive callings and giftedness. The more we know about each other within our area, the less we will think of one another in terms of "the competition", and instead see how we can collaborate to and reach the broader community.  Imagine all the churches in our area working together, and how that could increase our collective capacity to reach more people.  Surely, then, we will achieve the non-zero-sum solution [win-win] - instead of the zero-sum philosophy [win-lose].  After all, satan's greatest weapon against us is 'divide and conquer'.

Mar 12
Sandie Sangster

Unseen Emergency-Unseen Solution

Posted by Sandie Sangster in Untagged 

Unseen Emergency-Unseen Solution

The definition of an emergency is……..

Mar 03
Douglas Bush

A Mother receives word from Chile

Posted by Douglas Bush in Untagged 

I usually write a blog entry once a month but today, I would like to do something a little different.

My nephew, Derek, lives in Santiago, Chile and has done for some twenty years.  Being Canadian born and raised, Derek got the entrepreneurial spirit to make wine in Chile.  Off he went to seek fame and fortune.  As life would have it, he met a nice Chilean girl, got married and now have two little boys ages 3 and 5. 

Two days ago, Derek sent this email to his Mother here in Canada.  She was relieved and wanted to share it with the rest of the family.  I would like to share part of it with you.

Feb 28
Sandie Sangster

HAWAII-Scanning the Horizon

Posted by Sandie Sangster in Untagged 

HAWAII-Scanning the Horizon

From the snow storm in Flagstaff, Arizona that shut the city down, to the Pacific Ocean and Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii and a tsunami evacuation.