Sunday, January 26, 2020

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jun 02
Misti McHatton

"Write" Away

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

With the push to “capture stories” and “blog” and utilize “social media” there is the opportunity for a lot of confusion regarding what is expected. I wanted to do a brief devotion that outlines the importance and significance of writing down the stories of CEN.

The word “Write” appears 89 times in the Bible. It is an important part of how God chose to communicate with us.

The definition of write is: To inscribe, to engrave; to record. This implies there is a deeper, more permanent, reason for writing.

From what I could tell there were three reasons to write something down in Biblical times.

1.       To Remember

Because things were written, Jesus was able to resist temptation because “It was written”

Malachi 3:16
Then those who feared the Lord spoke with each other, and the Lord listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and always thought about the honor of his name.

2.       To Believe

A modern day example of this is when doing research. Being in school I can personally attest to the fact that there are expectations on written material to consider them valid. You can’t believe everything that is on the internet, for instance. Just because it is written doesn’t mean that it is true. However, when speaking or writing about truth it has to be substantiated by what is written.

John 20:30-31
 30 The disciples saw Jesus do many other miraculous signs in addition to the ones recorded in this book. 31 But these are written so that you may continue to believe[a] that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.

3.       To carry the correct message to others.

Jun 01
Keith Knuth

The reason for our readiness

Posted by Keith Knuth in Untagged 

I came across this blog post and wanted to share it with CEN members: http://livintheoffgriddream.blogspot.com/2010/05/preparedness-apologetics.html

At times it can feel odd trying to defend the time or prioritization we devote to being a ready Christian.  I found this blog post both refreshing and helpful.

May 17
Misti McHatton

Preparedness

I was thinking today about how to be prepared. Looking back over my life's journey from where I am right now, I can see how all along I have been preparing for the place I am today.

While we have the responsibility to prepare ourselves spiritually, emotionally, physically and mentally for how to deal with disasters or whatever trials come our way, God also prepares us to meet our life's challenges and He positions us for such a time as this.

We generally think of the phrase "for such a time as this" in the context of the story of Esther in the Bible. Mordecai's famous challenge to her to approach the King and plead for her people is what we think of as the ultimate in situational destiny and being in a certain place in a specific time for a destined purpose.

May 12
Misti McHatton

The Whole Earth Groans with Birth Pangs

The Whole Earth Groans with Birth Pangs
Three things the Father wants to give you when everything around you is shaking
By Doug Stringer
(Based on Original Teaching, March 5, 2010)

The earth is shaking.

In January, hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives when the nation of Haiti was shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake. Close to a million people were left homeless. Only a few weeks later, an astounding 8.8 quake shook the nation of Chile. The Chilean quake was so powerful that scientists estimate it moved the earth's axis by as much as 8 centimeters and even shortened our day by 1.26 microseconds!

These tremors represent just a few of the thousands of earthquakes that will be recorded around the world this year, according to estimates by the U.S. Geological Survey.   But earthquakes are not the only kind of shaking happening on earth. Natural and human disasters, economic and political crises, terrorist attacks, wars, famines, and disease—these are all the news headlines we see around the world.   The earth is shaking!

May 09
Linda Gross

May 8th Update

Posted by Linda Gross in Untagged 

Hi Everyone!

We are officially handing in at least part of the information due for us to be an official chapter. I will need to meet with you all to complete some of the information. In fact, you will receive an email from  me asking for a time when we can all get together soon.

Hope you all have a great weekend and celebrate your mothers,  the mothers of your children, and if you are a mother Happy Mother's Day. If you are not a mother ... well, enjoy blessing someone else who is.

God bless you all and more coming soon!

Linda

With a cup of coffee in one hand and the morning newspaper neatly displayed on the kitchen table this morning, I begin to riffle through the pages with my right hand.  A morning ritual in this household.  When all of a sudden I see this heading “Volcano tourism on the rise”.  You have to be kidding!

Several tour operators are offering packages to visit, tour and bare witness to a live and very active volcano.   The article goes onto say “you might want to exercise caution.”  You think?

Their idea of caution (no kidding) or preventing harm to visitors is to park their vehicles in a spot for a quick getaway and they go onto say that in case of rock explosions people are encouraged to take shelter under their vehicles.  Now, let’s stop and think about this for a moment.  A road up to a “new” volcanic lookout sounds like a single lane road to me so if we all park for a quick getaway there has to be a traffic jam somewhere.  And hiding under your car waiting for “hot” rock debris to hit the car which is probably filled with gas. Hmmh!  Does this interest any of the blog readers?