Sunday, January 26, 2020

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.

via Michael Hyatt's Blog by Michael Hyatt on 4/23/10

On Wednesday, I made a presentation at Catalyst West on the subject of “Platform: What It Is, Why You Need It, and How to Build It.” When I finished, I opened my presentation for Q&A. Finally, after about 20 minutes of lively discussion, I indicated that we had time for one more question.

Someone asked, “How does a busy CEO—someone like you—find time for social media?”

Great question. Frankly, I get this a lot.

By Michael Barrick

Disasters seem to be a daily news item now. There are reasons. More and more people are moving to hazardous areas. The earthquake in Haiti was devastating because of many reasons, not the least of which was the population density. Economic setbacks, incivility in our political discourse, and floods, famines and earthquakes around the world are all contributing to the unrelenting bad news. Add in a pandemic that rattled nerves for months, an eight-year old war in Afghanistan, religious terrorism and countless other challenges and it is apparent that we are living in some of the most challenging times of our lives.

Jun 11
Mary Marr

Is The Church doing It's Job?

Posted by Mary Marr in Untagged 

In Phillip Yancey's book, Where is God when it Hurts, he writes: "If the church is doing its job-binding up wounds, comforting the grieving, offering food to the hungry-I don't think people will wonder where is God when it hurts. They know where God is-in the presence of God's people on earth."

Experts say 90% of people in crisis today ask, "Where is God in this?" What does that mean for the church. Unless Christians are praying, caring, and sharing the Hope they have in Christ, the statistic will  only increase. When family members, friends, co-workers face emergencies both large and small and they receive a clear explanation of how they can draw upon the strength that only God can give, we will see that number decrease. What an opportunity we have to answer this question clearly in our time.

Are you ready? Take the Biblical Readiness profile at www.christianemergencynetwork.org then use the free online track Ready Christian to prepare your family for these uncertain time. Be ready to give an answer for the Hope that is within you and turn someone's crisis into a blessing.

While Traveling in Colorado, I experienced a cell phone outage over several days. The Version switching equipment in Aurora Colorado failed. The result was shutting down most Version cell phone service in the state for 24 hours, and delivering sporadic service for another three days.

One lesson learned is all technical equipment can fail. If we allow ourselves to become overly dependent, we get into trouble.

In the “old” days, we had phone booths to make calls, now these are few and far between.  As times change, we need to adapt our back up plans. For me, I bought a cheep prepaid back up cell on another network.

Jun 08
Mary Marr

Anxiety Never Strengthens You for Tomorrow

Posted by Mary Marr in Untagged 

Each day we have a choice, to choose anxiety or faith. God gives us this choice to provide us opportunity to Glorify Him and not ourselves. Second only to anxiety is the fear of the unknown. In these days of uncertainty economically, internationally, and in many families pressing problems seem to be outnumbering the solutions. Where do you turn for rest, peace, and stability?

Psalm 46 says you turn to the Refuge of God when everything seems to be breaking loose. For the believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, when the worst calamities appear on earth like floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, or man-made terror, there remains a Refuge the God of Israel, who causes us to stand and proclaim His good news in the midst of any emergency we are facing today.

What fears do you have today? Take a moment and reflect upon Psalm 46:10, "Be silent, and KNOW that I am God! I will be honored in every nation. I will be honored throughout the world. The Lord God Almighty is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress."

Jun 08
Douglas Bush

Happy Ending to a Terrible Disease

Posted by Douglas Bush in Untagged 

In March I wrote about my nephew’s firsthand account of his experiences during the earthquake in Chile.  The saga for the Chilean people continues. 

This blog entry is to tell the readers that Derek in his unselfish wisdom set out to help those most affected by the earthquake.  Travelling from the capital city of Santiago, he went into the countryside.  This is where he thought he could be of most benefit.  He restored water and electricity to farm houses, patched windows and doors from the outside elements, fed the livestock because the farmer was not physically capable, and so on.  As he said, it was a list of “odd-jobs”.

After a month of helping those less fortunate and still eager to go on, Derek contacted bacterial meningitis.  A terrible disease for anyone especially, the young.  How he got it and where he got it, he nor the doctors aren’t sure.   The prognosis was not good and family anxiety soon set in.