Saturday, February 22, 2020

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jul 14
Misti McHatton

Don't Lose Sight of the Vision

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

Hebrews 11:1 says, “Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it.”

Do we remember verse 13 as we think about the list of Bible Heroes that are listed? Verse 13 tells us, “All these great people died in faith. They did not get the things that God promised his people, but they saw them coming far in the future and were glad.”

So many times we get excited about the vision but then allow our HOPE to be lost in what my pastor likes to call the H.o.E. (which stands for Hell on Earth). He encourages us not to lose our Hope in the HoE. The challenges, disasters, crisis, emergencies and every day trials of life will choke out our hope if we choose to focus on the negative and lose sight of the vision or the hope that we have. 

Proverbs 13:12 tells us, “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.” Often when King Solomon wrote about the heart he meant our soul: our mind, will and emotions. When we lose hope, or defer it, our mind will and emotions can become sick. But having a longing fulfilled, or even having desire or hope, brings life. 

So my question to us today is, what visions or hope have we laid aside and deferred because of the H.o.E. that we have experienced? And what can we do to resurrect some of those hopes and visions?

We need to understand the fight that we are in, both personally and in the job that we are called to do on earth. Many times understanding the trial is enough to find the strength to walk through it.

Remember that Psalms 23 says, “Even though I WALK through the Valley of Death”…Don’t stop and camp in the Valley…keep walking. Know that He who has begun a good work in you will be faithful to complete it to the end!

If we’ve lost vision or let some of our hopes be deferred, we need to repent and ask God to give us the vision again and to renew our hope and trust in Him in those areas. Thoughts?

Jul 13
Mark MacFadyen

Make a Kit Party, CEN Wyoming, Michigan

Posted by Mark MacFadyen in Untagged 

On Monday, July 12, 2010, fifty Sunflower Apartment resident families made free emergency supply kits for their household. Presenters for the evening training program included the Wyoming City Fire Department, Christian Emergency Network State Michigan Director Mark MacFadyen, and members of Compassion This Way/Adopt-a-Block Grand Rapids.

The event showed families what they need to do in case of fire, tornado, storms, power loss, and other natural disasters. Prayer and intercession as followers of Christ were offered by Rev. Brian Patterson of Compassion This Way.

Free ice cream was served to all, capping the sweet event! To view pictures of this event, go to CEN member Mark MacFadyen, and click on 'my photos.'

Jul 13
Mary Marr

Christian Volunteers Come Early and Stay Late

Posted by Mary Marr in Untagged 

Since 80% of all disaster volunteers are are faith-based and the majority Christian volunteers, it is understandable that many of these same heroes who came early to Katrina and stayed late, even now in the Gulf recovery are now praying about what they can do about the oil spill disaster.

Such is the case with many Christian groups:  http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/02/hankering-to-serve-in-gulf-coast-missionaries-at-a-loss/?hpt=Sbin

Prayer for this disaster is moving Christians to respond in creative and meaningful ways.  Prayer is a meaningful endeavor as we seek His face for any peaceful and long-lasting mitigation to a disaster in both material and human terms that really only He can clean up. 

Jul 12
Misti McHatton

Defining Hours

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

Throughout our nation's history we have had defining hours in battles which clearly divide leading nations from followers. Such examples are found in the American Revolution, Civil War, or WWII with the Battle of Bulge. Defining hours are seen in other nations as well; those who have touched the annals of history from the Old Testament such as depicted in the Book of Nehemiah and many others.

In all these battles God has been the true victor defining the hour. It is not the battles themselves which define the pivotal course of history accelerating hope and freedom; it is the resolve to defend truth, the character of those defending that truth, and the perseverance to obey the giver of truth that changes the course of history itself.

PREPARATION is PRIORITY:

Today Paul and I, due to our CERT training, are sitting in the call center for Coconico County.  Our instructions are to pass information to  any indivdual who might call in and are living in an area identified as at risk for flooding as a result of the recent Schultz fire.

We are, once again, impressed with all those who care about the lives and property of the citizens in Coconino County.  They  have relentlessly worked around the clock to prepare for potential flooding due to expected heavy monsoon rain fall. 

Calls and information packets have been sent to inform and assist property owners to prepare in for the risk of flooding.  Do you know what a wattle is?  How do you protect your home best using a wattle? How many sandbags does each family need?  Areas are designated for pick up of wattles and sand bags for their safety.  The County has several workshops scheduled for individuals to be most informed as to how to protect their property.

The good news is, we are not receiving calls-the reason-people are being very proactive.  Now, my part as Ready Christian and a member of the Flagstaff CEN Chapter; I know it is my responsibility to begin now to pray for those in my community who may be affected by  potential flooding.  Ask God for direction on ways I can demonstrate that we, as a Chapter, care for them and their situation, always seeking to share the hope of Jesus Christ who is with us in all situations.

Building key faith-based relationships is essential for anyone who builds contingency emergency plans within their community. Lessons learned from Katrina indicated the faith community responded early and stayed longer within the affected areas. By connecting with your local CEN chapter you will be able to specifically address your unique local community needs in your planning process before an incident occurs. For example, in Glendale, AZ, CEN chapter leaders are embedded into the Emergency Operations Center and are daily being worked into planning meetings as an integral part of their community response. CEN chapters are uniquely positioned to connect emergency operations planning and emergency crisis responders with strategically placed churches, Christian businesses, schools or individuals who may be critical to an early and long lasting response. You can learn how to start a CEN chapter in your area by logging onto the CEN Resources hosting the chapter e-learning track online.