Sunday, August 20, 2017

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.

CEN Alert: Newtown, CT Elementary School Shooting

Today the nation sits in shock, once again, as a lone gunman went into a school and opened fire, killing 20 students, 6 adults, and the shooter. As the details continue to trickle in, CEN encourages all Christians to begin the Prayer-Care-Share Biblical Response.

First, pray for those directly affected by this incident: the students, the parents, the staff at the school and the first responders.

Psalm34:18 – “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.”

Second, care for others. Many people will be confronted with the vulnerability of their safety and security following this incident. Listen with an open heart and allow people to express their concerns and their fears. Empathize and pray with them as they seek to understand that which can’t be understood.

Romans 12:15 – “…weep with those who weep.”

Third, share the hope we have in Christ with others. Many people will question why and how something like this could happen. While we may never fully understand, we know the One who knows all hearts and loves people more than we ever could.

Galatians 6:2 – “Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.”

To aid in situational awareness, CEN has created an online response group that we invite you to join. This response group is an open forum to share prayer and physical needs in response to this incident. You can join the response group by logging into the CEN website here.

To help better prepare and understand how to respond in an active shooter situation, CEN has compiled the following documents for you to use. 

Dec 13
Misti McHatton

8 Maids a Milking

Posted by Misti McHatton in Untagged 

8 Maids Milking

Today’s line of the song represents the beatitudes. They are (as found in Matthew 5:3-10):

Dec 13
Misti McHatton

9 Ladies Dancing

9 Ladies Dancing

The meaning of “Nine Ladies Dancing” is found in the book of Galatians, chapter 5, verses 22-23. It reads, “But the Spirit produces the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law that says these things are wrong.”

These nine fruits are what create peace and harmony in relationships. When I think of dancing, I think of a few things.

Dec 13
Misti McHatton

10 Lords a Leaping

10 Lords Leaping

The Ten Lords a Leaping are representative of the Ten Commandments. To remind us of what they are:

1. You shall have no other gods before me
  2. You shall not have any idols
  3. You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy
  5. Honor your father and mother
  6. You shall not murder
  7. You shall not commit adultery
  8. You shall not steal
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
  10. You shall not covet

Most people are familiar with the ten commandments as a code to live our lives by. When I think about the ten commandments I can’t help but think about the verse in Matthew 22:37-40 that say, “Jesus answered, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and most important command. And the second is like the first: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the law and the writings of the prophets depend on these two commands.”

Dec 13
Misti McHatton

Eleven Pipers Piping

Eleven Pipers Piping

The Eleven Pipers Piping in the “12 Days of Christmas” as it applies to the idea that the song was used to memorize the tenets of the Christian faith represents the Eleven Faithful Disciples.  The eleven disciples were:

1. Simon Peter 
  2. James 
  3. John 
  4. Andrew 
  5. Phillip 
  6. Bartholomew 
  7. Matthew 
  8. Thomas 
  9. James the less 
  10. Jude 
  11. Simon the Zeolot 

Remembered as the ones who walked with Jesus and spread his word and teachings immediately following his death, they played a key role in the expansion of Christianity. In my pastor’s message this past week he talked about “The Call of Christmas” and how when we receive the call it doesn’t always look promising, but the promise is that we have the joy of Christ as we are faithful to what he calls us to do.

Dec 13
Misti McHatton

12 Drummers Drumming

Drummers Drumming

In keeping with our 12 Days of Christmas “study” – today’s focus is on Twelve Drummers Drumming. The corresponding tenet of the Christian Faith is the Twelve Points in the Apostle’s Creed. Here is what the creed says…

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
    the Maker of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: