Saturday, August 24, 2019

Blog

Share your stories and ideas with the network as you respond to crisis and disaster.
Jul 11
Dave Purdle

Ministry 9-1-1's Call of the day...

Posted by Dave Purdle in Untagged 

"Far too often when we give into temptation we make excuses for our sin instead of admitting our guilt and receiving God’s grace and forgiveness. As a chaplain, and as a Christian who also struggles with temptation and who sometimes gives in, I have heard every excuse imaginable and even used a few of them myself. Just as in the Garden of Eden when Adam blamed God and Eve for his sin and Eve blamed the serpent for hers, we often make the same mistake today. We can blame God for making us this way. We can blame our family background or our past. We can say that we are only human and made a mistake. We can blame others for failing us or influencing us to sin. We can blame everyone and everything else, including the devil for our sin, but it really doesn’t matter. God doesn’t buy it and He isn’t impressed or swayed by our excuses. Our sin is always our fault and ours
alone. While we can be tempted, influenced, weakened or persuaded, ultimately when we sin, we can only blame ourselves.
The good news is that when we admit our sin, accept full responsibility for our sin and confess it to God, then and only then do we find God’s grace and complete forgiveness. We also can find God’s strength to help us to overcome the temptation the next time it comes our way. So, when you find yourself resisting everything but temptation, don’t make excuses, confess it to God and let Him help you start over, grow stronger and be victorious the next time." --Chaplain (MAJ) David Trogdon

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. --I John 1:8-9

Jul 10
Dave Purdle

"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 18:19) -- "In order to see our prayers answered, we must seek to be right with one another, as well as stay right with God. Because we are serious about our prayer lives, we must also be serious about our church unity. In prayer, we earnestly and sincerely desire for God to work according to His will. The more we are in agreement with fellow believers, the more we can expect our prayers to be effective." (Pastor Thomas R. Smith)

Remember the commercial "Where's the beef?" As Christians living in an increasingly complex world, do we need to ask ourselves "Where is the reverence in our worship today?"

Growing up in the church my family attended and served in with distinction, we had what some would call distinct church customs which I remember well such as donning a hat before entering the sanctuary several minutes early before the service started; sitting quietly in prayer until the congregation began its opening hymn; bowing before the cross when in procession or when we passed it; handing our hymnal to the new person seated next to us; wearing our best dress; kneeling during prayer; standing for the reading of God’s word; and departing the sanctuary only when the cross had receded down the aisle. My parents and grandparents were church leaders so they were either teaching a Sunday school class, ushering, reading Scripture, counting the attendees, or back in the kitchen preparing a fine meal to encourage others who were visiting. When my grandmother died there were over 150 cars in the funeral processional because she was so loved as a member of her church family with her selfless service! My grandfather would get up early every Wednesday to lead the Bible study lesson and be in church very early helping with Sunday worship.

The heart behind of all those activities was a love of God, a worship of the One who is worthy of all praise, honor, respect, adoration and reverence. The subjective adoration of someone who exceeds personal excellence, who deserves deep acts of respect and praise, is still the same yesterday, today and tomorrow – Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jul 08
Dave Purdle

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. --Revelation 2:5

"Let’s take a look back today. Let’s remember. This is not just a nostalgic trip to take up some precious time. This is a chance to remember. This is a chance to go back in our minds and remember where we put the keys down! Pause this moment and remember His goodness, remember the service. Remember the faith, love, and hope we used to have! What has taken your passion? What has taken your affection? Where have they gone? Let’s reclaim them today! 1] Take a moment to remember the miracles—this brings FAITH. 2] Take this chance to remember the people—LOVE. 3] Take a moment to remember the obstacles you have overcome in your Christian life—HOPE." (Pastor Ray Cazis)

Jul 07
Steve Marr

Priorities During An Emergency

Posted by Steve Marr in Untagged 

The crash landing of flight Asiana Flight 214 at San Francisco International Airport that was survived by most passengers and crew was amazing. As the plane was evacuated, a fire started to spread.

Jul 07
Steve Marr

Know Where Your Money Is Going

Posted by Steve Marr in Untagged 

Some fundraising does a good job of taking money in, and putting no money out. The Tampa Bay Times ran a study highlighting “The 50 Worst Charities In America”, chart posted here:  http://bit.ly/17rGkdP .

Organizations responding to disasters are not immune from providing little bang for the dollar. The Ready Church and Ready City programs encourage the local church and Christian ministries to engage in fundraising locally and then deploy those funds to meet needs directly. This helps the church be the church.